How to Get Rid of Gnats in Kitchen – How to get rid of gnats in the kitchen? This must be everyone’s question. If you see small flies in your kitchen or around the indoor plants, they may be fruit flies or insects. Fruit flies and gnats are small fly species, with many similarities and unique characteristics.
Fruit flies are mostly interested in vegetables and fruits. These small flies are common during the summer in homes, restaurants, markets, and wherever food is left to rot and ferment. Fruit flies are able to rotten the fruits and vegetables.
You need to be extra careful in keeping your fruits and vegetable. Save them in a safe place or wrap them with plastic. Outbreaks of fruit flies or insects can be very disturbing to deal with.
Some people use insecticides which contains toxic and it is very risky. Instead, you can try natural remedies to get rid of gnats and insects in your kitchen. Here are 10 ways to get rid of fruit flies, gnats, and insects quickly.
Apple Cider Vinegar
A popular and effective home remedy for getting rid of fruit flies and insects is apple cider vinegar. If you don’t have apple cider vinegar, just use the white one. They are attracted by the smell and are quickly trapped in it.
- Pour apple cider vinegar into a Mason jar or similar container. To release more, you can heat apple cider vinegar and then use it.
- Add a few drops of liquid dish soap and mix well. That will help kill flies.
- Mouth the jar with a plastic wrap.
- Stir the plastic with a fork or toothpick to make a hole so that the fly enters the jar.
- Place the jar where insects or fruit flies swarm.
- When the jar is full of dead flies, throw away the contents, wash, and refill.
Rotten or Overripe Fruit
Just like apple cider vinegar trap, you can use a rotten or too ripe fruit to trap fruit flies.
- Place a few pieces of fruit that are very ripe or rotten under the glass jar.
- Mouth the jar with a plastic wrap and stir a hole in it with a toothpick or fork.
- Place the bottle where you see the most flies.
- After a few hours, you will see a bottle filled with flies. Put it in a bucket of warm soapy water for about 10 minutes so the fly can’t fly again.
- Repeat as needed.
Lemongrass Essential Oil
You can use citronella essential oil that smells strong to keep insects and fruit flies at bay. This is intended to be used as a preventive measure because oil itself will not kill existing flies.
- Pour 2 cups of hot water in a clean spray bottle.
- Add 10 to 15 drops of lemongrass essential oil in it.
- Spray this solution around your kitchen counter near the plants in your room and other places where you have noticed these flies.
Lemon Scented Liquid Soap
Lemon scented soap is another good choice to keep your indoor plants free of insects. Gnats will be attracted to the smell of lemon and soap will kill them.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of lemon-scented dish soap in 4 cups of water.
- Transfer the solution to the spray bottle.
- Spray this soap solution on infested plants to kill mosquitoes.
- Finally, spray the leaves and stems of the plant with clean water to get rid of the soap solution.
Milk, Sugar, and Pepper
Homemade traps that have been tried and tested for fruit flies can be made with milk, sugar, and pepper. Fruit flies will be attracted to the mixture and sink into it.
- In a pan, mix 2 cups of milk, 4 tablespoons of pepper and 8 tablespoons of raw sugar.
- Simmer the solution over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow dish and place it where you see the most flies.
- When the dish is full of flies, throw away the contents and wash them.
- Repeat as needed.
To store ornamental plants filled with mosquitoes, you can also use honey. A sweet smell will attract insects into your trap, and the sticky texture will prevent them from coming out.
- Attach a toothpick to one side of a brightly colored index card.
- Wipe the other side of the card with a thin layer of honey.
- Insert the card into your ornamental plant land.
- Dispose of the card so it’s finished with dead insects and replace it with a new one.
You can use vegetable oil to trap and kill the insects you see coming from drains in your kitchen sink. You can get vegetable oil in many variants easily on online shopping such as e-bay and Amazon.
- Pour about ¼ cup of vegetable oil into your duct, and apply a little oil around the edge of the duct.
- Use masking tape to close the drain hole.
- Leave it overnight.
- Release the tape the next morning. You will see insects sticking to it.
- Repeat for a few more days.
If you are dealing with insects in the kitchen or bathroom sink, bleach is a good choice to try. You can get it on online shopping such as e-bay and Amazon. However, if the insect develops deep in the drainage system, bleach will not solve your problem.
- Remove everything from the sink.
- Put a cup of bleach on the sink.
- Wear eye protection and mouth and run very hot water.
- Let the bleach dry.
Note: Do not mix bleach with ammonia, because the toxic vapors can be harmful to your health.
Keep the Cleanliness of Your Kitchen
To prevent fruit flies and insects from entering your home, keep your kitchen clean.
- Do not leave your dishes in the sink at night.
- Keep the litter box properly closed.
- Don’t keep garbage bags at home overnight.
- Clean the lid and surface of the trash container with a disinfectant solution.
- Keep your kitchen table and dining area clean. Clean food spills immediately.
- Do not allow moisture to accumulate at kitchen counters or other surfaces.
- Keep the food container tightly closed.
- Clean newly purchased fruits and vegetables as soon as you arrive at home. Store in the refrigerator.
- Close the bag of your bread tightly and put the cake into a closed cookie jar.
The 9 tips above can be your answer to questioning how to get rid of gnats in the kitchen. You can apply each ingredient to clean your kitchen. It is necessarily needed to keep the kitchen clean every day because if it is not, such insects may come to mess everything.